Needless to say, arthritis is one of the leading causes of both pain and disability across the globe today. It is a degenerative and painful condition that is often caused by the inflammation of the joints causing not only stiffness but also a pain. There are two primary types of arthritis: osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, both of which have severe effects on the joint but in different ways. Rheumatoid is often caused by an autoimmune disorder that leads to the inflammation of the soft tissues that protects the joints in the body and can result in the loss of bones in the long run.
On the other hand, osteoarthritis is bound to occur when the cartilage between the bones wear out such that your bones start to grate on each other. Furthermore, osteoarthritis is bound to get worse as you age since wear and tear cause it over the years. Whichever type of arthritis you experience, there are many remedies for arthritis aimed at easing the symptoms and managing the pain. Hence, this write-up is aimed at giving you an insight on the top nine ways on how to relieve arthritis pain.
- Lose Weight – It is imperative to manage your weight to relieve arthritis pain. It goes without saying that your weight can have a huge impact on the amount of pain you are bound to experience from arthritis. That extra weight will exert more pressure on your joints, particularly your hips, feet, and knees. Furthermore, it is paramount to note that being overweight can accelerate complications of arthritis and contribute to an increase in arthritis pain. Therefore, managing your weight will help in reducing stress on your joints and improves your mobility, relieve pain, and prevent the chances of future damage to the joints.
- Relaxation therapy – It is advisable to find the best ways to relax. Relaxation and meditation techniques such as doing yoga, listening to music, and deep breathing can efficiently work you. These techniques have no downsides and can help you to reduce pain significantly by not only reducing stress but also help you cope with the pain better. It is imperative to note that pain is not a purely physical condition. Hence, learning to think in a different way about pain as well as altering your behavior can be helpful, especially with long-term arthritis pain. Besides, it is advisable to focus on adaptive therapies such as calming statements or distraction since the use of negative attitude to cope with pain can increase your risk of suffering.
- Exercise – A vast spectrum of workouts, such as aerobics, strength training, and range of motion can help with pain as well as physical function in your knee. The regular movements encountered during workouts helps to maintain the flexibility of your joints. It is advisable to engage in low-impact exercises such as swimming or water aerobics to flex your joints devoid of any stress. Furthermore, it is crucial to note that physical activity is appropriate for people suffering from osteoarthritis because it plays an important role in ensuring proper functioning of the joints. Besides, you can seek the services of an occupational or physical therapist to help you create a workout program that is appropriate for you.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture is a form of ancient Chinese medicine or medical treatment involving the insertion of sharp, thin needles into specific parts on your body. It is a treatment aimed at restoring and re-routing energy in your body. Experts have proved that acupuncture is a great arthritis pain relive technique. However, if you intend to try this kind of medical treatment, be sure to seek the services of an experienced and reputable acupuncturist who boasts an excellent reference.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation – Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is an arthritis pain relive technique that utilizes small pulses of electricity to create a tingling sensation. It is aimed at disrupting the pain signals by significantly reducing the sensitivity of your nerve endings especially in your joints and spinal cord. Nonetheless, it is advisable to seek the guidance of a physiotherapist on how to set the strength and frequency of the pulses, position of the pads, and the span of the treatment.
- Turmeric and Ginger Tea – Both ginger and turmeric are anti-inflammatories and will help in suppressing both Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Turmeric is made up of an active ingredient known as curcumin, which is a potent antioxidant. Curcumin plays a crucial role in lowering the levels of two enzymes that are responsible causing inflammation and after that result to arthritis. Therefore, you can take ginger or turmeric in a tablet form or opt to make a great spicy tea and enjoy on a daily basis.
- Use cold and hot therapy – Both cold and hot treatments can make a significant difference when it comes to relieving arthritis pain. The use of heat, for example, taking hot showers or baths, immersing your painful joints in warm paraffin wax, or applying warm or electric pads to your aching joints, can help in relieving arthritis pain temporarily. Besides, cold therapies such as using frozen vegetables in a cloth or wrapping ice packs to painful joints or sore muscles are ideal for relieving pain. Nonetheless, while using the hot therapies, it is important to be extra cautious so that you do not burn yourself.
- Massage – Regular massaging of your arthritic joints will not only play a great role in boosting your ability to move, but also reduce both stiffness and pain significantly. However, it is advisable to seek the services of an experienced physical therapist who boasts a vast knowledge of massage. Furthermore, it is vital to let the physical therapist know that you have arthritis so that he/she can recommend the best massage techniques to reduce pain.
- Epsom salt soak – Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulfate which has been used as a primary pain reliever for years. Magnesium relaxes all your nerve endings and muscles, relieving both stiffness and pain. Furthermore, not only does Magnesium play a significant role in arthritis relief, but it also plays a vital role in helping your bones to mineralize and gain sufficient strength.
If you’d like to relieve your joint pain in-home and naturally, you can also follow these steps here.